SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

soil retaining too much moisture! help!

The soil mix I used before (pine bark mulch, spaghnum peat, lime, some Osmocote, and coarse vermiculite) leafy green stuff loved.

Root veggies hated it because it was too compact and coarse; bulbs never formed and/or root portion was thin and spindly.

Fruiting veggies (squash, melons, esp tomatoes and peppers) didn't do well in it because it dried out too fast, so soil wasn't moist consistently.

I found some new soil mixes. The texture was perfect...light, fluffy, and loose. Unfortunately it's too wet. Some of the 'recipes' retained so much moisture it became muddy, so I quit using them. The other recipes didn't retain so much moisture they become muddy, but it's difficult not to plant tiny seeds (cabbage, broccoli) too deep because it's loose.

I know drainage isn't the problem because I have holes drilled in the bottoms of my containers.

Does anybody have a soil mix that is light and fluffy? I'm also looking for a soil mix that doesn't dry out at the drop of a hat, which is the problem with my first soil mix, but doesn't retain too much moisture, which is the problem I'm having now.

Most of the recipes call for compost as an ingredient; I use packaged compost. Could this be creating the problem of it being too wet?

Comments (12)