SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
organicshadegardener

New House, help with color suggestions

Hi all, Here is the story, our new home and someone else's neglected old landscaping. I am looking for some color combination suggestions and basic design suggestions for the front of the house, especially the right side. Just don't know where to start. These photos are not very recent as we put a BAY WINDOW in on the right side of the house and cut down the giant tree to the right of the driveway. Where the tree was, there is now a huge mulch pile (8' x 8' quarter circle) at the intersection of driveway and sidewalk, perfect for a flower bed. On the left side, from the door to the garage, there is a porch, completely hidden by the bushes. We have not used it once and you can't even see it because of the spirea on the left. The porch is completely shaded due to the position of the sun etc. I feel that one of the features of the house is being hidden by the landscaping.

{{gwi:36681}}

and another photo to show scale. Again, the tree in the foreground is gone along with all of that shade you see on the lawn.

{{gwi:36682}}

The plantings will go under a bay window and along the front of the house. The house is 1/2 brick with a yellow to ivory color siding and green shutters. The shutters can be repainted, that is not an issue. At this point I am considering a landscape theme of mostly purples but I was wondering what ya'll might say! What other colors might look nice?

The current plantings are: to the left, there are a ton of spirea bushes. Two colors, the dark green with fuschia and the light green in the front. Considering taking those out as well. I like spirea in its more natural form, not as clipped hedges.

To the right, there are some evergreen hedges, a 10' evergreen tree and some other junk. Nothing I feel too attached to.

Clay soils, north facing, zone 5, at least 6 hours of direct sun in the front of the house. Any and all advice appreciated!

Comments (3)