SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tired_of_digging

making a 'Relaxation garden'

17 years ago

How would I go-on making a "relaxation garden", in the sense of "having soothing effects" and not simply a place for relaxation ? Garden design topics in the west don't deal much with it, but they often refer to Zen and Japanese gardens, created with a soothing sensation of balance. This is just a general inquiry, but I will be able to provide any additional detail you may ask regarding location, climate and style I want to use.

Comments (13)

• 17 years ago

Perhaps appeal to the various senses? I would say use sounds such as moving water, windchimes, rustling grasses and fragrances that you like. (Although I personally am allergic to fragrances and like quiet - water features make me want to pee but I love still, reflecting ponds!)

• 17 years ago

How would one create a relaxing space in general? Even more importantly, how does one relax (again, in general)?

For example, there is usually a sense of comfort and security involved. Otherwise, one would feel either uneasy, tense, or anxious. This can be acheived by visually enclosing the area, or perhaps by even appealing to a childhood memory that is equally as comforting. Other methods exist as well.

What other things are soothing? If you find your goal(s), the methods of achieving it are not far off.

-Audric

• 17 years ago

I like this question. As a psychotherapist I can tell you that there are some universal qualities that bring about relaxation; but there are also very individual relaxation "triggers" as well.

One universal is soothing color. Bright colors do not soothe, but invigorate. Mellow, faded colors do soothe. A pale blue-green is a common calming color. Think junipers (my current favorite conifer, btw.) High contrast is also non-soothing. Colors closest to each other on the color wheel will blend better for a soothing palette.

Again, with regard to what is visually relaxing, some like to have a very distinct focal point on which to focus attention and therefore quiet the mind and relax. For others, however, a blended view with no one center of focus, but rather a visual space that allows the eye to move comfortably from one thing to another is soothing.

Water, in some form, is a common "soother", but its form is highly variable. For some the sound of water burbling is calming, but not for others. Some like the swoosh akin to waves in the distance. Some just like the sound and sight of a still pond, while others prefer rushing water.

There are common soothing smells, like lavendar. Lightly sweet, but not cloying smells are also soothing. The overpowering smell of rose is probably too much to be called "calming", for example. In general, though, smell may be the most variable sense with regard to "what is relaxing".

A very big variable with regard to calming influences is the sense of space. There are those who love a cocooning, closed in, cave-like feel (my son is like that; we call him claustrophiliac), others much prefer a wide open expanse and far-off views.

The key, of course, is to be able to identify what is indiviudally soothing and then to introduce those elements into one's landscape.

Patty

• 17 years ago

Made me smile, the post from WATERgal:
    "water features make me want to pee but I love still, reflecting ponds!"

zz
    (and BTW, the smile comes from being a kindred spirit... or is that bladder?)

• 17 years ago

Water features give me anxiety! lol

I also wanted a calm, soothing garden. I guess I would also qualify as a claustrophiliac. I do not enjoy big, open, sunny spaces. I chose to limit my palate--limited colors, limited choice of materials, etc. There is some variety and the eye does travel around (a limited palate need not be stagnant) but much more slowly (and thoughtfully) than it would in a colorful perennial garden.

• 17 years ago

Yesterday I was sitting on a garden bench under an old apple tree in my yard looking up at the garden path my daughter and I are working on. In New England it was a glorious day of mild temperatures, no humidity and a blue, blue sky. There was a little bird hopping among the new plants and the as-yet-unmulched dirt in between. Watching him I fell into a kind of reverie. After a long time, perhaps as much as 15 minutes, the little bird flew away and I awoke from my meditation completey and utterly rested.

So maybe, in addition to my comments above, a relaxation garden should include an invitation to birds and bees and butterflies.

Patty

• 17 years ago

While thinking about this question, it occurs to me why a zen rock garden is so relaxing. When you admire the calm of the rocks and gravel, there is no compulsion to water, fertilize, weed, or deadhead.

I'm kidding, but I'm not kidding. My garden is supposed to be relaxing, but every time I plunk myself down in the garden "throne" with a glass of iced tea, within 5 minutes I am pulling up weed seedlings or removing spent leaves.

• 17 years ago

I'm with catkim. In order to avoid gardening more and enjoying it less, I have found I need to have at least one sitting space in an area that seems "all right" as it is and doesn't continually bring to mind things to do. The focal point idea seems related, too, as it may help deflect worry about surrounding chaos. That same idea has got me trying harder to avoid starting lots of projects in different areas; also to make some of the sitting areas have perhaps more groundcover or hardscape, maybe larger sweeps or groupings and one nice focal point or container planting--not exactly aiming for boring, but for calming. Also use a lot of foliage and green, not necessarily evergreen, but things that don't scream, deadhead me now.

• 17 years ago

Dear tired,
    I agree with the previous posts. A lot depends on what your present yard looks like, and what appeals to you.
    All I had to do in my previous yard is put out a 3 person covered swing with an awning. Not sure if these are available in your area. Add a book, pet, friend, or sister, and it was very relaxing. The swinging is very soothing.

Are there any spots in gardens/yards that you have seen that are relaxing to you?

• 17 years ago

Hello

I am studying Landscape Design at University and in my final year doing my dissertation. My title is "How can relaxation be aided in outdoor spaces in inner city areas". Your post above really helped me but I was wondering if I would be able to do an online interview as your findings would give me great primary research and I wouldn't take up much of your time.

Hope to hear from you soon, my email address is foxyfox@hotmail.com

Thankyou

• 17 years ago

Who are you talking to claire? If you ask your question under a separate heading with specific question you will get some answers which is as close as you will get to an interview here. Perhaps someone will then e-mail you if they want to go further.

• 17 years ago

If you click on the name of most people posting, you can send them an email directly, although some people have not enabled this function.

• 16 years ago

Relaxation Garden is a major topic in my life at the moment. I moved to a new house 6 months ago and I've been told the gardens around the house would be finished this winter.
    Winter is almost gone, and we are living in a sort of muddy area with no possibilities to make anything grow.
    For the last months I have been finding a shelter through music that inspire me and even 'transport' me in a 'virtual' garden with birds and smooth sounds...

To come back to the topic I definitely go for water and windchimes, a all senses should be stimulated by a rest in the garden.
    I've posted the link where I found the music I'm talking about here under. They have a free track (the now famous Japanese Garden) which is the one I often listen to, waiting for the gardeners to come and do their job...

Laure

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese Garden