SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scarletdaisies

Starting Over in Containers, Shading hot Plants

scarletdaisies
13 years ago

Next year I'm planning a large container garden, half in soil, half in containers. I found out I could grow corn and squash and melons well once I composted over the winter over it, but obviously because of allelopathic trees that are expensive to get rid of, I'm planing tomatoes, peppers, brassicas, etc., in large containers.

How much gravel do you put in containers for drainage in large containers and how deep? If the container itself is buried to protect it from the heat, leaving a few inches above ground, how can I add drainage?

I'll be starting over next year for half the garden anyways, in pots and I will be composting. I may mix half the soil in ground with half compost being with aeration the effects of poisons are null, so long as there is no continuous supply of poison. I'll be sifting out anything left in the soil through a screen.

If I use the soil I dig to bury the container mixed with compost, how will I add the drainage, and if it's above ground containers, how do I shade it, over the top and along the sides too? I'm supposedly in zone 6, but my zipcode says zone 7 on the internet website. High humidity and hot weather, so this is not a good container gardening environment. What do you think?

Comments (3)