SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristie73

hiring a landscape company for a lot of work to my backyard

kristie73
18 years ago

I've hired a landscaper to do work in my backyard. Which involves, bringing in fill dirt, topsoil, building a retaining wall on one side of the yard which slopes down and away from the house, putting in sprinklers and a drip line, putting in sod, creating a patio, bringing in some plant material (trees, shrubs, and decorative rocks), putting in mulch and rock. And also building a privacy fence. It's a big job. But we have an erosion problem and the backyard is not landscaped at all. I've never hired a landscaper before. We got several quotes and this company was the least expensive and the most personable. I called his references and I feel good about it, but is there anything I need to do. Any advice from this board? I'm not going to be able to be home during their work. So I can't watch the progress all the time. I'm nervous about that.

We are going over specifics tonight and talking about the schedule, so any questions I should make sure to ask? He requires 50% down to start the job, which seems usual.

I don't know that we've settled on the type of rock, type of retaining wall, type of patio. I want the work to be inexpensive, but appropriate, and nice. We want some sort of stone retaining wall in (2) tiers, I think we want a mix of flagstone and smooth patio, we want rock that can be walked on easily.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Comments (11)