SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thebutcher_gw

Is there a basic ratio on how much soil to use per plant?

thebutcher
11 years ago

This is my 2nd year planting tomatoes and peppers and I have some questions about soil and the amount. Does anyone know how much top soil to use for a certain amount of plants for example...

How many cubic feet/pounds would fit in (10) 5 gallon buckets, or how many cubic feet/pounds would be enough for 10 tomatoe plants? (if I just dig a hole in the ground and filling it with soil to put the seedling in. To clarify this, last year I dug a 12 inch wide x 14 inch deep whole and filled it with soil)

Also I know this probably has been said before but I will probably buy my soil at one of the large wharehouses since I got a gift card and was wondering what is the best bang for the buck soil that would be nice for Tomatoes and Peppers. I want to try to stay organic as well. Right now my seedlings are in red cups with "Espoma Organic Potting mix" and 1/3 are in MG Organic Potting mix.

I also read some great things about Arozmite and will probably add this to the soil as well as some other compost/droppings (any recomendations?)

Sorry for so many questions and if this has been covered before and Many Thanks in advanced,

-Mr Beno

Comments (8)