SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
creatrix_gw

Waterfall mounds on flat lots

creatrix
17 years ago

I'm looking at a very flat lot with an existing pond with a mound for a waterfall. The mound is 3-3.5' tall, 6'long against the pond, and about 4' deep away from the pond. I'm thinking about extending the mound a bit, so it's not quite as abrupt, and then planting it. It's in a wooded area, but I think I can go out far enough to smooth it out a bit without covering too many roots.

The style of the house is modern- for central VA- low-slung. The entrance has a strong 45 degree element, as does the rear deck. I'd have voted for a structured water feature, rather than a pond. But a pond is what we've got.

The owners are not interested in planting the pond itself, or having fish. They just want clear water in the pond. Currently, there is an 18" border of gravel around the edging stones. A young hemlock is next to the pond on the opposite end from the mound.

I would be interested in hearing what others have done with waterfall mounds. Could a longer, lower run of water make adequate waterfall noise? This pond was just refurbished, so that wouldn't help here, I was wondering for future reference.

Comments (5)