SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spaghetina

Are there small fava bean species? (pics)

spaghetina
14 years ago

I'm asking because my pods are currently only filled with 3-4 (mostly 3) beans, and it doesn't seem as though they're going to produce anything larger. Also, since there aren't many beans in each pod, the pods are short and not especially fat. The seeds I bought were supposed to yield dwarf plants, which ended up not being so dwarf (they're about 2 1/2 feet, when they were supposed to be about 18"), but the description never mentioned dwarf pods! It seems every bit of information I had about these seeds turned out to be wrong, lol. They're taller than they're supposed to be, the pods are smaller than they're supposed to be, and where I was expecting 6-9 pods per plant, I've gotten anywhere from 15-20 pods per plant. That part works out well for me, since I LOVE favas and planted around 134 seeds and most came up.

I already made one meal out of just under 2 lbs. I picked the day before yesterday, but the beans were about the size of a soybean/edamame. I'm not sure if I should let them continue growing, or if they've pretty much gotten as big as they're going to get for this variety. Is it possible I maybe got the cover crop sort of fava instead of the eating sort of fava? And does the cover crop type produce smaller pods/beans?

I'm attaching some pictures so you can see what I'm talking about:

{{gwi:40876}}

The fava patch. They're all listing to the side because we had some high wind and nasty storms that made them all fall over, and I never bothered righting them. They seem to still be doing just fine growing sideways. Lol.

{{gwi:40878}}

One of the stalks loaded with pods. This looks to be about as big as they're going to get, but I'm not sure.

{{gwi:40880}}

My first fava harvest. The pods aren't hugely filled out, but some look like they basically can't get any larger, which is why I began harvesting. See how they only have a few bulges in them?

{{gwi:40881}}

A closer shot, just because I like seeing how fuzzy they are. :P

{{gwi:40882}}

See? 3 beans to a pod, and they're about the size of my (badly manicured - sorry) fingernail. Will they get bigger?

Comments (2)