SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emgardener

Container mix comparison question & observation

emgardener
16 years ago

Have a question on root development below.

I have 2 homemade self watering containers with different mixes in them to do a comparison.

A. 1:1:1 peat/vermiculite/compost, 19 gallon rubbermaid container. Early girl tomato.

B. 3:2:1 small pine bark nuggets/turface/peat, 5 gallon container. Early girl tomato.

In container A, I'm only watering the reservoir and letting it dry out before each watering. In container B, I'm doing top watering and the letting the reservior fill up and then mostly dry out before top watering again.

The tomato in B was smaller when first planted but now is a little bit bigger ~2feet tall.

However, in the middle of the day on hot/warm days the B tomato slightly wilts. Tomato A does not wilt. The soil in B is still wet and the reservior is full when the slight wilting occurs. If I water B then in the middle of the day (even though the soil is wet and reservior is full) the plant recovers and no wilting.

Also I've scrapped away some soil to (carefully) look at the root development of each.

In A, there were no roots until about 1.5 to 2 inches down. Very white healthy roots there. (I stopped looking as soon as I saw the first roots).

In B, as soon as I scrapped away a little soil, virtually on top, there were many very white healthy thick roots at the top of the soil.

My unscientific conclusion would be:

In B, while the soil is well aerated, it is too coarse for ultimate development. The roots can't get hold of enough soil surface area to supply it with water in mid-day heat.

While B has grown slightly faster when small, it could experience slower growth as it gets bigger (this will be interesting to see what happens).

In A, the plant can get its roots around all the soil it needs and so it doesn't need the need the extensive roots at the soil surface that B does. But the lack of soil air is slowing its growth.

I can't top water these every day and certainly not in the middle of the day, so I'm thinking next year maybe a mix of 1:1:1 of bark/turface/peat might be better.

Does anyone with knowledge and experience in this "root development area" have any comments insights. Are my conclusions on track?

Also I believe remembering reading that Tapla didn't use the highly aerated mix for vegetables. Why not?

Thanks EM

Comments (3)