SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
filaluvr

Mini Self Watering Pots

filaluvr
14 years ago

Mini Self Watering Pots

I hate to throw stuff away so started making my own self watering pots from just about any plastic container that has a small opening that comes to a tapered point. I use water and soda bottles for my sprouted seedlings. I typically use the baggie method to start my seeds then after they sprout move them to one of these. I have also used two liter and juice bottles that are more rectangle and they have worked great to pot up in size. First I remove any labels. Then I measure the top part of the bottle to see where the tapering ends. Once I have that I cut that measured amount from the bottom of the bottle. I can then use the rest of the bottle and fill it with potting medium or trim it some if I am potting a smaller plant seed. I invert the top tapered part of the bottle and place it into the bottom part. Sometimes I tape both sides of the bottle to keep the bottom in place. You can smush the inverted top part a bit to make room for a straw to add water directly to the bottom, making it more like an EB. Once the straw is in place I tape the inverted top to the bottom to keep it together and to keep the straw in place. I mostly fill the inverted top with moistened medium and then add my sprouted seed or seedling. Then I top it off with a bit more medium and put an inch or so of water in through the straw or just water from the top. You can fill these pots using a squirt bottle inserted into the straw. I use Micky DÂs straws as they are a bit larger. If the seedlings need to be kept very moist I might put a bit of plastic over to top with a few breather holes and secure with a rubber band until the seedling emerges. The neck of the inverted bottle that should have medium down the length of it acts as a wick to keep the plant properly moist but drained. I love these as I can see the roots grow and repot as needed and also see when they need more water. I repot when the plants roots are growing into the lower portion of the pot if not before. I will tell you using uniformly shaped bottles ease the repotting process. I used several A and W Root Beer bottles that were larger at the top and it was harder to get the plants to slide out when they were repotted. I also used a dime taped to a stick to help push out the plant when I repotted them. The pics are not great but you get the general idea. The smaller plant is a 4-day-old everglades tomato seedling and the larger plant is a min orange bell that will be repotted this weekend. I used it to show the root system thru the bottle. I have been hardening it off and it has suffered some bug and sun damage, please disregard its battered leaves. Email me for Pictures as I dont know how to post here.

Comments (4)