SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
taraleigh_gw

patio made of crushed stone?

taraleigh
14 years ago

Hi,

We have a small area behind our house that is about 25 X 13. Right now it is an ugly mess. Previous owner threw down flagstone on dirt. It is next to a very large and steep hill that goes upwards. It is never going to be beautiful back here, sadly, though I am working on making it a lot more attractive... but we don't want to spend a lot of money back here for obvious reasons.

The area is also fairly difficult to access. For all these reasons and because we don't want to impact drainage coming off the hill we are considering crushed stone.

Does anyone know whether 3 inches will be enough to suppress weeds? Should we use the landscaping material underneath it? will this look dirty and gross in no time? How does someone clean the stones once they become covered in leaves, debris, etc?

I am also considering putting down stones and then putting the flagstone on top of this. I have seen this elsewhere and it looks nice. Does anyone know if the stones will really not move once they are on gravel?

A local stone dealer had this brown stone that i really liked. He thought the 3/8 " stone was the better one to get... but i liked the look of the smaller and round 3/4" stone. What are the downsides with going with a smaller stone, other then the fact that we might lose more stone when it migrates as a result of peoples shoes etc?

Just trying to weigh the plusses and minuses of using gravel for a patio area and hoping people can help!

Thanks!!!!

Comment (1)