SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
btbarbara

Help! What's going on here?

btbarbara
12 years ago

I've been thrilled with my cucumbers (picklebush and burpless hybrid) and they've been fruiting like crazy. All of a sudden, the last couple of days, the leaves have been turning yellow and the vines getting all mushy. Most of the cukes I've gotten the last couple of days have been horribly deformed too. I've tried leaving the ugly cukes but they don't do anything. I've tried snipping off the yellow leaves and I've tried leaving them alone (they go completely brown and fall off). Any ideas?

background: 3 picklebush and 2 burpless in an 18-gal tub with MG potting mix and Black Kow. North-central GA where it's hot and humid all the time. In the beginning I was spraying with MG every 5-7 days but when my pumpkins got burned and everyone here told me I was over-fertilizing, I cut back to every 2 weeks or so and I'm careful to avoid spraying the plants directly and "rinse" a bit after. There are a TON of bugs on these. Some I've been able to identify (ants, aphids, "soldier" bugs, ladybugs), some I haven't.

{{gwi:42249}}

This is how the leaves sometimes look late in the afternoon when it's approaching 100 and I haven't watered enough but they're not dry now. It rained for a while last night and was cool and overcast this morning. Still, I thought maybe they were thirsty so I watered some about lunchtime but after 2 hours they haven't perked up yet. As of yesterday, they were firmly attached to the wire teepee and reaching up over the top. Today, they've drooped to the point that they've pulled away from it altogether.

{{gwi:42251}}

Closer look at the yellowing leaves at the bottom. I know I need to move the container and cut the grass but the same thing is happening all the way up the plant and in another pot that's sitting on short grass so I don't *think* that's got anything to do with it.

{{gwi:42253}}

My cantaloupe is a few feet away...same setup...18-gal tub with MG potting mix and Black Kow. This plant just set about 9 fruits in the last few days so it can't be doing too bad but all of a sudden, it's turning yellow too. The vines going to the yellow leaves are completely squishy and limp. There are some new leaves coming in near the "crown" or whatever you call where the plant comes out of the ground and they look good...for now.

{{gwi:42255}}

{{gwi:42257}}

{{gwi:42259}}

Comments (9)