SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mctiggs

Dead zone

mctiggs
11 years ago

Hello all,
I bought a home last year after living in an apartment forever. I selected a 16' x 16' section in the backyard for my garden, which was used by the previous owner to park a car. The ground was heavily compacted and full of those âÂÂdrivewayâ rocks. I thoroughly removed all of the rocks, tilled the packed ground to death, and had about 2-3 feet of fresh soil dumped on top. I fertilized, and everything has grown superbly, except for one thing.

The patch is adjacent to our garage, and the veggies I planted there (climbing beans and cucumbers) did not do well. Many perished. Those that did grow were not healthy looking. Everything outside of about 1-2 feet from the garage has grown as expected.

I think this may be a few things: the garage is treated wood. I took steps to place untreated wood over it so that the chemicals would not touch the soil and seep into the garden. I fear that may not have worked. Secondly, next to the garage there were those nasty pervasive lilies that donâÂÂt take no for an answer. I spent hours (and hours) digging all of the roots out of the ground so they would not return. Only a few weak little lilies sprouted around the veggies, and were easily removed. A friend also told me that it looks like a pH problem. I bought a tester but the ground is still frozen (glorious Canada). Any suggestions or ideas?

Comments (12)