SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newly_obsessed

Earthtainer update for a freshman gardener

newly_obsessed
13 years ago

Hi All,

OK - this is my first ET experience and the highs have been ridiculous growth and lush plants (for the most part) - thanks to Raybo! Planted 12+ starting Mid-May and 1/2 of them are 6-7' tall and pretty healthy. Like Raybo up north, we've had an unusually cool and overcast summer so far with one or two short heat spells to goof me up!

Ray- remember when I asked you about the Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil? ET on left is the trial (with Mort. Lifter & BW?) , vs one planted a or two weeks earlier a la your instructions on the right (CP & Krim). Note to self - do NOT spend $17/2cf next year! Will stick with StaGreen.

{{gwi:42099}}

1/2 of the row, a couple are at 6+' tall-

{{gwi:42100}}

Impatiently awaiting a blush (note to self - plant EARLIER next year!)

{{gwi:42101}}

{{gwi:42102}}

{{gwi:42103}}

{{gwi:42104}}

The lows -

I have an unidentified problem on one BW plant - posted in the disease/pests forum. I'm praying it's not the evil blight and that it doesn't spread.

Have lost a few to BER and was ok with sacrificing a few misc fruits in the hopes that the bigger ones will ripen without it. Started with "the snack" 2 weeks ago, was advised to add it to reservoir evenings, since (supposedly) they take in calcium at night? Don't know yet if this is successful.

Have been stressed out about the heat, cooking roots (still haven't come up with an affordable solution to shade the tubs - next year will build a box around).

I'm laughing at my obsession with all of this, can't wait to get out in the morning to inspect and dismiss my fear of hornworms (none so far, knock on wood) and to get home at night to see how many inches they've grown (I'm always hoping for a little blush but know it's too early :(

A couple of questions -

Do you/when do you topwater? if you do.. how do you manage it with the black plastic and mulch? I've taken th 1/4 tubing and stuck it under the plastic when it was really hot - but was then afraid that I was "unevenly" watering and contributing to BER...

Do you pick off the dried blossoms after fruit is set to avoid the zipper thing or misshapen fruit? can't find anything on that.

Thanks again for all your support and guidance!

Comments (14)