SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
col_sprg_maters

Symptom of insufficient fertilizing?

col_sprg_maters
13 years ago

I have had my maters in containers - some for 2 months now.

As a "First time" container gardener, most of the typical mistakes have been made; over/under watering, bad mix, too small pots, etc.

I once overfertilzed, (tbls for tsp) man was I glad of having a fast draining mix to rinse the fertilizer out.

Anyway, I have been gun-shy about fertilizing, and my "Weakly Weekly" has averaged 1/2 teaspoon of schultz

24-8-16 for average sized (4 galoon) pots. they also get a tablespoon of azomite every month.

I am wondering what the signs of underfertilizing might be, as the plants are now flowering and fruiting and its pretty important to get this right?

some of the plants are pretty big for the size container, ie, sweet 100 in 5 gallon pot . I am now considering giving fertilizer as a ratio of PLANT size, versus pot size as I was doing.

I think the initial dose of fertilizer in the pots may now be somewhat depleted, and my weekly dose might be too weak.

So what would be the signs of needing more NPK in this mid stage of plant life? Yeah some plants are somewhat small, but they are pretty healthy looking except for some slight wilting from the heat on pretty hot days, and now some slight yellowing of a few leaves.

Thaks

d colorado zone 5

Comments (7)