SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cfox248

Over fertilizing vs. Under fertilizing

cfox248
10 years ago

Hola again!

Just another question, of course. Each day I check my recovering Meyer lemon to see how its doing, and I'm glad to report it's doing amazing and pushing out all kinds of new growth (even from branches I thought were dead), even though it's still inside. I do notice, however, that the veeeery tippy tips of the established leaves it grew before I repotted it are starting to turn yellow. When I say tips, I mean the VERY tips, not noticeable unless you're obsessive like I am. The singular leaf that made it through it's near demise looks healthy, dark green and shiny, no yellow to be seen.

It made me curious about whether I wasn't feeding them enough, or feeding too much. The first watering after transplanting, the tree was doing well so I gave it a half gallon of water with Foliage Pro, following the mixing instructions. I fertilized it again the next time. Since then, it's been going outside on days that are warm enough (I can't decide if the sun is the reason for the tips, but it seemed to LOVE it outside in the warmth) and been watered a few more times, though none with the fertilizer. I am realizing I have no idea how often to fertilize.

Should I have not done it a second time? How often do you fertilize container plants? I was about to give him some more today, assuming that because it's pushing out new growth it's probably in need of nutrients. It seems very healthy and vigorous right now.

What are the symptoms, on a Lemon tree, of under fertilizing vs. over fertilizing? What's everyone else's potted citrus fertilizing schedule?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!