SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katskan41

Conifers in containers - contains photos

katskan41
14 years ago

Hi all. I thought I'd share a few photos of some of the conifers I'm growing in containers. All are growing in the gritty mix, with slight variations depending on species.

Happy viewing!

Three-year old Concolor fir

{{gwi:41887}}

Same three-year old Concolor fir, showing new growth. (Note: This is the second flush of new growth this season):

{{gwi:41888}}

The same Concolor fir shown above. You can see the roots extending out from the container. This tree was root pruned early this spring, with nearly 1/3 of the roots removed. Doesn't seem to have bothered the tree at all.

{{gwi:41889}}

A one-year old Nordmann fir seedling in the gritty mix, about three inches tall:

{{gwi:41890}}

Another view of the same Nordmann fir, from the top:

{{gwi:41891}}

Here's a second-year white spruce seedling. I found this volunteer last fall year and I placed it in the gritty mix. Doing very well so far. (Note: This container is actually an aquatic plant continer, and I placed the white spruce in this as a test.)

{{gwi:41892}}

Final photo is not a conifer, it's a one-year Eastern Redbud seedling. Found this growing a few weeks ago in our garden under the parent tree so potted it up. Looks good so far:

{{gwi:41893}}

So as you can see the gritty mix is doing very well for my woody plants.

Thanks everyone.

Dave

Comments (2)