SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ashley_plant_addict

My first garden is rather small: Help Design! :D

Hello everyone! :D

I am going to be moving into a new (not so new) condo and will be able to finally have an outside garden.

The area is small about 10 or 12ft x 8ft, pictures below. The building is 2 stories high so there is not much light until around 12pm. I receive direct sun in the afternoon on the northeast patch of open ground and partial sun in the other areas.

Here are some of my ideas, suggestions welcome!

On the west side there is a tall wooden fence, with the 3 to 4inch ground space before the sidewalk, I was thinking either planting a vine like clematis or coral vine, or maybe plant cannas. However, I think that putting cannas in big pots around the small patio would look better and would make for easier transportation later. Any other suggestions for something in this small area? (Partial light in the morning into afternoon)

Suggestions are welcome! :D

North side

{{gwi:41420}}

North close up, these two stumps can be moved

{{gwi:41421}}

Northeast: Since the northeast patch gets the most light I want something that flowers. I know very little about flowering plants and am open to suggestions! Possibly something fragrant and bright colored? Again, something that can be placed in a container and possibly mix plants. Can shrubs be placed into pots? Because I really liked a couple plants that have been mentioned to me before in other forums such as dwarf Hibiscus rosa-sinensi, Tibouchina urvilleana, or perhaps Brugmansia. However, I am afraid these will get too big for my area.(Partial light in the morning with direct sun in the afternoon and then back to partial/ shade in the evening)

{{gwi:41423}}

Northwest side

{{gwi:41425}}

Northwest close up - last stump on the right is able to be moved. My ideas are to use the tree stumps, I was thinking placing pots with fern, ivy or Mexican heather on top of the stumps; I want something that will vine down the pot and tree stump. (Partial light in the morning into the evening)

{{gwi:41427}}

South side, I think this rain gutter will cause a problem. I do not want to plant anything and then it get drowned. What about a fountain or sculpture there? Along with some ivys or ferns (because they need little light). I like the idea of monkey grass lining the sidewalk and the bricks. But other than that I dont really have any ideas. I would like to keep these brick for my mini grill. There is an over hang from the second floor, shading most of this area. Someone mentioned shade loving plants and that I could use hosta to plant a circle, and for the inside plant some flowering plants. I LOVE this idea but don't know much about hostas or shade loveing flowering plants. Ideas? Can hostas be planted in pots? (Very little light in the morning, partial light in the afternoon into evening)

{{gwi:41429}}

If you have a different idea please let me know! :)

I visited my neighbor on and he has a container garden, which is what influence me to change my mind to containers rather than digging. I would still be able to do bulbs and such in pots. I want to have hanging baskets and lots of pots with bulbs or mix plants. I don't know what works together so please give me some ideas. I want a beautiful, fragrant and colorful garden.

Thank you and I hope to hear from a lot of you! :D

Ashley

Comments (7)