SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kuinut

potting mix with coir for acid lover

kuinut
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a potting mix for a synsepalum dulcificum (miracle fruit)? I have half a brick of coir and some Hydroton fired clay pellets that I'd really like to use (just so they don't end up going to waste). The coir that I have is supposedly ph neutral and without salt. I've made a mix of regular potting mix, coir, and the clay pebbles that I'm trying on a few other plants, but as the miracle fruit grows very slowly, I'm not really eager to experiment too much, since I only have one plant. I read suggestions that I should use a 50/50 perlite/peat mixture, but the coir was actually loads cheaper for me in Hawaii. I've read around the forum and there's a lot of argument about the coir, but not a lot of information on actually utilizing it.

I just purchased the miracle fruit and I think it's about 6 inches tall. The nursery I bought from told me that I can transfer it to a slightly larger container, so I would really like to, as it's in a small, flimsy, thin plastic pot.

I read around the internet that I need soil with a ph around 4.5 to 5.8. As the coir and clay pebbles are neutral, is there anything I can mix in that will lower the ph?

Also, if anyone has any suggested readings about coir, hydroton or potting mixtures in general (whether they be book or digital) I'd really appreciate it as well.

Thanks in advance.

~Kui

Comments (5)