SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lexiebmax05

Not sure what I should try for weeds...

lexiebmax05
14 years ago

Last year was the first time we got to plant a garden at our house b/c we had just moved in the winter before. We tilled up an area that I could tell had once been used as a garden but was overgrown with tall / thick weeds. The picture below was what it looked like after we tilled it last year.

{{gwi:38964}}

I don't have a lot of experience gardening yet, I'm still trying to figure out what works best for everything but I had raised beds at our house before this one and never had any problems. But since our house is in the country, I wanted a real garden in the ground and man is it different. I didn't use any kind of weed cover last year (mulch, fabric, etc.) I just pulled and hoed as much as I could but by about early June it was just overrun with weeds. It was so disappointing. So this year I've tilled it up again since we had sooo many weed plants in this area. I know I've heard tilling it will stir up the seeds but I had no choice, the area is 14' wide by 70' long so I sure wasn't going to just hoe the entire area of weeds. Once tilled, this year I raked the entire first layer of dirt completely off so that I got out as much of the roots / debris that I could (which I didn't do last year) and now I have mostly just dirt. I know I will still have the weed problem, just not sure how bad. I've looked at mulch and landscape fabric but for such a large area, it would cost a pretty good bit. Any suggestions for what I should do to keep the weeds at bay??

Comments (10)