SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sprtsguy76

My tomatoes are getting too much water in my SWC.

sprtsguy76
15 years ago

Can a tomato from a SWC taste as good as one from the garden bed? That is the question. So far, no way. Granted that this is my first year growing tomatoes in a SWC. I experimented this year and grew two identical varieties two different ways, one in a SWC and one in the garden bed. By far, the ones grown in my garden bed are much better tasting. It seems like every tomato I have had off the plants in the SWC have a watered down taste to them, BLECH! I have a sneaking suspicion that the SWC's are delivering too much water to my dear tomato plants. I've battled BER all year long with the tomato plants in the SWC's, not to mention yellowing leaves from bottom to top of my plants. No, I did not add any lime. They started off great, grew fast and they were lush and green. Then the roots found there way down the wicking chamber and through the areation bench and down the sides of the areation bench and really induldge themselves with too much water. I have considered changing lots of things. I have considered shrinking my wicking chamber? I've also considerd not drilling holes in my areation bench. Anything to slow down water uptake.

Has anybody else done a equal comparison with tomatoes in a SWC vs in ground.

If so, could you taste a difference?

What should I do to minimize water uptake in the SWC?

Comments (5)