SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bahia_gw

Do you ever encounter such things?

bahia
14 years ago

While installing the finishing touches on a garden here in town for an ongoing client, I was treated to a herd of 5 llamas being taken out for their Saturday walk. They were big enough to look a bit like camels at first, and it brought a smile to my face as they ambled by. Not only were they llamas, but they were rescue llamas after asking the owner about them. A few minutes later one of them had escaped/been spooked by a dog, and came racing back down the street trailing its leash. It would never have occurred to me that perhaps the new landscaping would need to be llama resistant as well as deer resistant!

The other somewhat peculiar thing that happened was the conversation with the neighbor's 7 year old son, who told me he was a scientist, and working on a time portal invention, and had already assembled a team of class mates to work out the details. Does this strike anyone as a bit precocious for 7 year old? He was also most interested in watching the technical aspects of hooking up the drip irrigation system, and had a million questions/running commentary going.

From all this, anyone care to take a stab at where this garden might be? A few more clues; the garden contains a mostly south of the equator planting scheme, with lots of succulents such as Aloe maculata, A. castanea, Aeonium canariense subplanum, Sedum palmeri, Cotyledon orbiculatum, Crassula multicava, bromeliads such as Puya berteroniana, Dyckias, Aechmea caudata, Aechmea recurvata, Aechmea 'Burgundy', Leucospermum cordifolium, Asparagus retrofractus, Astelia nivicola, Deschampsia flexuosa and Uncinia uncinata, a Tabebuia impetiginosa and Feijoa sellowiana to accompany the Coast Live Oaks, and for flowering accents, some Streptosolen jamesonii, Limonium perezii, Selago serrata, Echium wildprettii and E. gentianoides, Aristea major and A. inaequalis, Pattersonia drummondii.

I don't think I've ever worked in a neighborhood with so much interest from the neighbors as it was being installed, and such knowledgeable folks who asked specific questions about plants, and almost all would slow down as they drove by and give a thumbs up on the new garden.

So I would have to sum up and say that this was amongst the more memorable work installations I have done, and constantly full of surprises...

Comments (17)