SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovemyroses

Planning 200 sq. ft. raised bed ... got questions!!

ilovemyroses
11 years ago

I have an area with full sun approximately 25 by 20 feet, accessible on two sides. I am planning tor the two inaccessible sides to be an L shaped 4 foot width bed. Then, on the long accessible side, have 'lanes' of four foot width beds butting into the long side of the L. This will give me, excluding the L shape, three approximately 4 foot width by 12 foot length beds that butt into the L. and approximately 3 1/2 ' footpaths. Totaling about 200 square feet surface for planting.

I am planning on making the sides one foot high, on top of st. augustine grass which I will mow and layer with newspaper, then brought in soil from a good company...vegetable garden mix.

For the sides, I like natural products as opposed to cinder blocks, so I am planning to go with cedar boards, like my nearby screened porch. and support with rebar hammered deeply into the soil.

Don't know if anyone has seen the historic home on Nantucket that has a kitchen garden behind it, but this somewhat rough, natural look is what I prefer.

Any tips? I have been reading the forum and gathering ideas. Plan to allow the opportunity for a PVC pipe to form a dome/alley should I desire, for a cold tunnel.

Plan to grow tomatoes, peas, beans, lettuces, etc.

Want to do it myself, with my husband. My sweet father who introduced me to gardening recently passed away, and gave me some money, which I want to do something to honor and remind me of him. and, i love to garden, but haven't done veggies, just roses and perennials.

Thanks

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living