SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rnewste

Raybo's Corn-Tainer 'Farm'

rnewste
15 years ago

Just a brief update at 90 days from seed going into the 'Tainer. Plants are healthy at 6ft. 6in. tall. Ears have developed nicely and pollen is falling on the tassels. May possibly be harvesting some in 2 weeks time.

{{gwi:21043}}

{{gwi:21045}}

Raybo

Comments (39)

• greengrass12
    15 years ago

Never would have believed that you could grow corn that looks like that in a container til your pictures. Are you getting 1 or 2 ears per stalk?

• rnewste
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am getting a combo of about half the stalks with 2 ears.

Raybo

• Related Discussions

Raybo's EarthTainer 'Farm' on May 1 (pics)

Q

Comments (16)
    RJ, The EarthTainer holds 3.3 cubic feet of potting mix. This season, I spaced the stalks at 6" distance from each other. Regarding last season, the plants exceeded 6 ft.: Production was satisfactory, but I spaced them too closely, something like 24 stalks per 'Tainer, and several of them never fully matured. The ears that did fully mature were about 6" to 7" long: This year already, the 15 stalks per 'Tainer really look healthy, so we shall see what kind of yield I get. kandhi, I use Miracle-Gro Potting Mix WITHOUT Moisture Control. The version with MC wicked up too much moisture in my early trials, and the one without MC works fine. It is also 25% cheaper on a cubic foot basis. Next year, I would like to experiment with some of Al's mix formulations to see if they improve on yield and longevity of use. I do agree with his view of bark fines, and as you can see in the above photos, I use bark fines during the growing season to screen the black moisture barrier from the sun, but when I pull out the root ball, I will let the bark fines fall into the hole, and mix them in with new potting mix for next season. Raybo
    ...See More

Raybo's Tomato EarthTainer 'Farm' - May 15 (pics)

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi Ray, I noticed your Paul Robesons in trouble. I do not know what caused it but I had the exact same thing when I planted mine in soil last year. I know people rave about them but they were the only tomato plant variety (I planted 10 different types) that did not work for me. I've given up on Paul Robeson. By the way, this is my first time to use your SWC design. My husband, also an electrical engineer, is very excited to see how these work. He followed your design - exactly. Thanks! gladys
    ...See More

The 2011 EarthTainer 'Farm' Brandywine from Croatia, MarNar (pics

Q

Comments (3)
    Lots of work and great results, Raybo! You definitely deserve some time in the hot tub! I am envious; so far the spring here has been so cold and wet here that I haven't planted out any vegetables; I'll stop by your place to stock up later in the summer. :-D Holly
    ...See More

Raybo's CornTainer 'Patch' - May 15 (pics)

Q

Comments (2)
    Looking good, Raybo. You convinced me that its something I'll try. Going to use the Early Sunglow. Looks like you planted 15 per container. Is that right? I've bought the Gotta Have It corn from a widow not far from us and I really liked it, but the DH said it was too sweet. He's more of the old fashioned type corn guy so hopefully he'll enjoy the Sunglow.
    ...See More
  • calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    15 years ago

Most corn fields wind pollinate very well, but I think in your container 'corn field' I would do a little hand pollinating. No one likes their ears of corn with 'teeth' missing! Al

• rnewste
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Al,

Yes, that is exactly what I am doing. I take some of the pollen from the tops of the stalks and hand distribute to the tassels on each ear.

{{gwi:40579}}

Raybo

• lycheeluva
    15 years ago

nice corn raybo.

i feel terrible though. i planted some corn in a 20 gallon container and figured i couldnt get away with more than 5-6 stalks per container. so i removed all the other seedlings. now that i see your pics, i see i could easily have gotten away with about 10-15 stalks.
    oh well, as ever, you live and learn. next year.

• rnewste
    Original Author
    15 years ago

While I planted this 'Tainer on 4 inch centers, I think going forward I will plant the seeds with 5 or 6 inch spacing. We'll see in about a month when all the corn in 'Tainer #01 matures.

Raybo

• rnewste
    Original Author
    15 years ago

{{gwi:5564}}

Here is a close up photo of the spacing. As you can see, some of the inner stalks are thin. I did replant however, when some of the seeds did not germinate, so that could be one reason. In any event, I will make the call on spacing for the replant of this 'Tainer after the full yield is known.

{{gwi:40582}}

My goal is to get 2 corn crops per 'Tainer each year. With an August 1 replanting goal, I should be getting a second crop in November. This cycle, I am starting a seedling tray now, so they can go in at about 6" tall on August 1.

Raybo

• earthworm73
    15 years ago

I am on ya heals Raybo. My corn in my EB are about 5 feet tall now. And they are taking an avg. of 1.5 gallons of water per day. On a hot day easily 2 gals. I am hoping to have corn for dinner by mid August. Funny thing is I had a dream a couple of nights ago that I plucked and ate the most creamiest sweetest corn in my life. In my dream the kernals on the cob were white and irregular patterned. I think Burpee sells seeds of a variety like this called Country Gentleman.

• liz_h
    15 years ago

Ooo, boy! All of this corn looks great. It's one of the few things I'm planning for a fall garden. It's been a few years since I've grown anything, and I'm excited.

• vance8b
    15 years ago

LOL
    Corn-Tainer. I love it. How appropriate that you posted this in the 'corn-tainer gardening forum'.

Vance

• terrybull
    15 years ago

{{gwi:13111}} zone 3 and almost there.

• rnewste
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Terry,

Looking good!!

What kind of corn did you plant? What spacing did you use, and what kind of container is that? Great for Zone 3.

Raybo

• terrybull
    15 years ago

Raybo,the corn is a northern sweet bicolor.the container is a $earthbox$, last year i tried the 16 plant spacing didnt work that well so i cut back to 12 and built the cage for windage. there is one on each end of my deck. terry

• jonesfam
    15 years ago

I had the corn in a pot, still in the plastic in comes in from Bonnie Plants via Home Depot. It rooted in the pot which I deemed a nightmare, but we were moving a little slow on the raised garden (first time out of pots). I took the corn out last Sunday, seperated (tore) the roots and have replanted it. There is already some silk showing for form a corn cob (do not know the correct terminology), I hope it doesn't rot.

Here is a link that might be useful: My corn

• rnewste
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Picked my first ear today - mainly to see what was going on inside.

{{gwi:14346}}

Ear is about 7 inches long and most kernels are developed. Should have let it go another week, but couldn't stand the suspense. Will be cooking it tonight with dinner.

Raybo

• georgeiii
    15 years ago

Hello I'm growing Sweet Corn this year. This set up use 2 liters a day of water.

{{gwi:40585}}

{{gwi:40587}}

• rnewste
    Original Author
    15 years ago

georgeiii,

Yes, my corn'tainers take in much more water than my tomato 'Tainers. I have them on an automated watering system, and the corn'tainers are always the last ones to shut off.

Probably not a good ROI if we have water rationing in California next year, but for now, the taste of freshly picked corn is better than S--.

Raybo

• ericjwi
    15 years ago

Are those 31gal? I did an 18gal and only had enough space for 11 black aztec at 4".

• jethrojames
    15 years ago

Hello!

Couple of questions:

1.) What ratio of fertilizer are you using in the containers? I know corn is a type of grass, and I suspect that it needs a higher N than the usual 3:1:2 ratio.

2.)To rnewste: I also live in NC. If I were to plant some now, would there be enough time to harvest them before the cold gets them?

Thanks!

• rnewste
    Original Author
    15 years ago

eric,

Yes, I am using 31 gallon Rubbermaids. The first 3 'Tainers, I planted on 4" centers, giving me 24 seed slots. In my fourth 'Tainer planted yesterday I arranged the spacing to give me 18 seed slots. I think this new spacing will give each corn stalk more room to fully develop. Guess I now need to build 25% more 'Tainers to make up the difference :-)

Raybo

• ericjwi
    15 years ago

Yeah I had 17 in there on the 18gal but they were too close and I found out my landscape fabric wasn't letting enough water through so I cut it out only in the wicking area. It was only 2-3 days so basically a redo to repair the mistakes I made.

• rnewste
    Original Author
    15 years ago

jethrojames,

I use Gurney's sweet corn fertilizer. It is 22-34-11 and seems to be working well. I just mix in water then pour into the filler tube. Disperse it with the hose for 10 seconds.

{{gwi:5563}}

Also, I am in Northern California - not N.C. so I can't comment on your local growing season, It may be a bit late, but you would need to check with others in your area.

Raybo

• jethrojames
    15 years ago

Hello Raybo!

Thanks for the pic of the corn fertilizer. If I decided to do any corn in a container, I will keep this one in mind.

Having never grown corn, I did not know some place could grow two crops of corn in one season. I will poke around here to see when to plant corn, though I am pretty sure I have missed that boat for this season.

And thanks for the clarification on being in Northern California. :o) I have some family living in the Sacramento area.

Thanks again for the info!

• desertfarmerjohn
    15 years ago

Your corn looks amazing. I'm definately going to have to add corn to my container garden next year. I might even go ahead and try a couple of stalks for the Fall. My only concern is how it will hold up to the southern Nevada heat and Sun. The link to my blog below has pics of my other container grown veggies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Gardening in the Desert

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Raybo - I wanted to thank you for posting all of the pictures and info on here, for everybody to see. I plan on making a few this fall, for use next year. I think they're awesome! Thanks again

EG

• ericjwi
    15 years ago

Baby black aztec started popping up after less than 4 days :D

• sandbar_norm
    15 years ago

Hi Raybo, Your corn looks great. I'm having some problems with my tomato crop as a summer crop. So I have another tainer ready for mix. I would like to get something to grow well and produce.
    If growing corn in a zone 9, should the container be in the sun all day, morning, after noon, or shaded all day?
    Same question for growing cucumbers and green beans.
    I think I will go ahead and make one maybe two more tainer.
    Let me see, Mater-Tainer, Corn-Tainer, Cucu-Tainer and Bean-Tainer. I could make a sign, "Welcome To Tainer Gardens". What do you think?
    Probably should have 4 Tainers and that should cover my tainer needs. (for now)
    Norm

• rnewste
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Norm,

Greetings from Bavaria this evening.

For corn, I would definitely put the 'Tainer out in full sun, as corn loves sunshine!!

Regarding other vegetables, my tomato plants on my redwood deck with 50% lattice cover are actually doing better than my 'Tainer plants out in the full sun. Pleasant surprise as I will move more 'Tainers onto the deck area next season.

I would think cukes would also appreciate partial sun and not full sun.

p.s. Sounds like you are going to have 'Tainer-town in your yard soon!!

Raybo

• kidcuba
    15 years ago

Raybo,

A quick question.

I understand you add water soluble corn fert. when watering, what fert. do you add in the initial planting to the soil?

Thanks Sir!

• sandbar_norm
    15 years ago

Hi Raybo,
    My wife thinks I have been out in the sun to long and not guite right. I like the name "Tainer-Town".
    If I put a sign with that on she may call the guys in the white coats to come and remove me.
    Hope they bring a big truck for my tainer-kids.
    Norm

• rnewste
    Original Author
    15 years ago

kidcuba,

Just arrived back in the USA tonight. I used Miracle Grow potting mix, then added in the water soluable corn fert into the water reservoir when the corn reached 8" tall. Added it again at 24". That's about it.

Norm, I remember going to Spring training games in your town. Don't remember the major league team (maybe the Braves) but I am dating myself now from long ago....

Raybo

• liz_h
    15 years ago

Ray, it looks like you dispensed with the plastic cover for the corn. Am I correct?

• rnewste
    Original Author
    15 years ago

liz,

As the corn shoots are somewhat random when they grow, I just cover over the top of the 'Tainer with a half inch of bark fines. This fills in between the stalks, and does help with the moisture containment somewhat.

{{gwi:40589}}

Raybo

• sandbar_norm
    15 years ago

Hello all,
    I am almost finnished with my tomato plants from last season. The ones I planted in July are 7 or 8 feet tall and the one's planted in aug/sept are 5'. Pulled all of my cubes,poll beans,peppers and lettuce last weekend. The cubes and bean have been done for about a mo.
    Probably going to pull the tomato plants this weekend. Just waiting on a few last tomatos.

I'm going to start a new crop soon.

I would like to try some sweet corn.
    It looks like you are not putting any fert. in the potting mix.
    Also about 18 plants per 31 gal container.
    Can you just plant the seeds in the container?
    Any other suggestion on what might be good for zone 9.

Norm

• rnewste
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Norm,

I simply put a couple of tablespoons of the Gurney's fert in a watering can, add about a half gallon of water, then soak through the surface when the plants are about 12" high. I repeat the process when I see the corn cobs starting to develop but this time, I pour the fert down the filler tube.

Don't try to overcrowd - - keep the seed spacing about 5 inches apart. I like the Gurney's "gotta have-it" corn, but others may be able to recommend something more specific for FL.

Raybo

• gringojay
    15 years ago

Pencil Cob maize corn won't require so much water. I grew it in semi-arid conditions & insect damage was minimal.
    Of course it isn't sweet corn, but fresh picked maize is tasty.

• sandbar_norm
    15 years ago

I'll give it a try.
    I have not seen a lot fert. for corn here.
    But I was not looking for that before.
    Thanks
    Norm

• hammock_gal
    15 years ago

Ray, am in the middle of watching the 2nd chapter of videos to put the ET together. You are making 'tainer for tomatoes.

Looking at your corn 'tainers above, it does not look like you have the aeration bench attached to the outer container. Would that mean that for those veggies that don't need support, we can skip that part, or should we go ahead and attach it?

Thanks ( and thanks to you and Gary for videos - so far they are awesome - something that even 'I' can do! :o) )

• rnewste
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hammock_girl,

Yes, use the 2 toggle bolts to attach the Aeration Bench to the container. This prevents the potting mix from going down the sides and into the water reservoir.

If you are growing corn, skip the cage step, of course.

The written instructions are more up to date than the Video, so while the Video will give you overall construction techniques, the current version of the Construction Guide is best to follow.

Raybo