SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
odiedragon

Very, very confused about vegetable garden mulch

odiedragon
15 years ago

I read constantly on here that you should "mulch, mulch, mulch" your vegetable garden... maybe I'm just a slow newbie, but this really doesn't help me very much.

The only mulch I know of is the stuff you buy in bags at the hardware store, and every time I hear people talk about "wood chips" they're apparently bad for the garden.

But, how does one mulch without wood chips?? I just don't understand what I should use. And reading this forum provides a lot of doom and gloom about the issue, not a lot of answers!! :)

Straw and hay are apparently bad, because they have weed seeds. Wood chips are apparently bad, because they break down and steal nitrogen from your soil. I've read similar things about shreaded paper and pine shavings.

I've read horror stories about landscaping fabric as well... I was initially going to go that route, because I was so confused. I figured I couldn't screw that up... just cover the whole garden with the stuff, and cut out holes where the plants should go. But no, it apparently is only good for walkways and doesn't even truly block weeds anyway! So I have the two roles and the garden staples I bought in my trunk right now, ready to be returned to Menards...

...but I'm still at a loss. We're looking to put our cold season crops out two weekends from now. Initially, our plan was to till the plot again this weekend and cover the garden with the fabric at that time. We tilled it two weekends ago, to work in the winter rye I planted last fall, and we wanted to till it a second time to make sure it stays dead. The fabric was supposed to help ensure this. But now I'm totally at a loss as to how to proceed. We're still going to till again this weekend... but how to mulch? What to use? How to apply it? Please help!

Oh, and I'm also wondering what will work best with a drip irrigation system. Once we set it up, it'll have one main line down the center, with 1/4" microtubing coming off of it, with soaker holes every 12".

Here's a picture of our garden plot, after we tilled it up last fall. It's about 14' x 21', minus the cut-off corner on the left hand side.

{{gwi:38517}}

I'm also going to attach our current crop plan to this post.

Thanks everyone! Your input is appreciated!

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Plan

Comments (22)