SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fruitpip

something is cutting my seedlings.. very confused.

fruitpip
10 years ago

this happened last time i planted vegetable seeds, too. they always grow to little cute seedling sprouts and then BAM! something.. snips them? It's weird. It's like, one day they're fine, then something strikes in the night and snips them. right now.. most of my arugula and mustard are untouched except a select few, maybe because they're spicy? EVERY new kale that sprouts gets snipped though! so did my sugar snap peas. it's weird, they're not eaten. they just look like the top was cut off. it's always laying on the ground next to the crime scene (i included a picture) though. i asked yahoo answers and was told maybe it's slugs or cutworms.. but wouldn't they eat the tops of the plants, not just snip them?

I thought it was my cat at first because she likes eating plants, but then I made some connections and i don't think she could bite the top off the plants so perfectly, literally looks like someone took scissors to them.. plus she always eats the plants, doesn't just bite them.

i never see animals by the garden. i have no "rural" type animals around me like deer or rabbits, but i do have squirrel, birds and mice. i never see them, or the cat by the garden though?? what could it be? i sprinkled food grade diatamacious earth around all of them so far but not until today.
Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings, I'm just very saddened by this.

Comments (22)