SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lil_brown_bat

Planning a new sun garden (and completely intimidated)

lil_brown_bat
13 years ago

Greets, all,

I've got a country house with a fairly small lot that includes a big vegetable garden, several small flower gardens or borders, and a herb garden. I have an area in my lawn where I'd like to put in a small ornamental garden, to include some seating or have some seating around it. The area is at the edge of a small hill, gets lots of sun and has a south view of a river and the hills beyond.

Simple enough, I thought -- I've reclaimed plenty of lawn for garden before, I know how to rip the stuff up and rich up the soil and transplant like a mad thing. The only problem is, I'm finding myself completely intimidated by the idea of design. At first I thought I'd rip up a small rectangle and make a garden like that, but then I thought...boring! A circle maybe? BORING! See, it's in the middle of a lawn...there are no structural elements around it now, the major landscape feature is the edge of the hill and the view beyond. My other gardens are circles or rectangles, but they're fitting with something, around a tree or in a corner. Just dropping down a simple circle or a rectangle is starting to seem like it would be too cookie-cutter.

Can anyone help restore my confidence? I'm not against the idea of a circle or a rectangle, I've just sort of lost my vision.

Thanks!

Comments (5)