SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kath0469_gw

Need help planning front yard (pic)

kath0469
17 years ago

I'm new to the forum and VERY new to gardening. We are planning our front yard (in Maryland) and need SO much help. The pathetic plants you see now came with the house. I am in desperate need of advice and will provide more pictures if necessary.

{{gwi:30102}}

The lot is VERY small and close to neighbors. The neighbor on the right has a few crape-myrtles planted along the property border, only about 20 feet from our house.

We get full sun in the front from about 1pm until dark.

The sidewalk is being torn out and a curved paver walkway is in the process of being installed. We do spent a lot of time in our (small)front yard. I have a 10 year old and 1 year old, kids spend a lot of time out front and playing basketball in the drive.

I can't decide if I should go with evergreens on the ends or something like a Japenese maple, flowering plum, or Dogwood? I like the idea of having Evergreens because they look nice in the winter and we LOVE decorating for Christmas and could put lights on those. But, they grow so slowly? On the other hand, colors from the Japenese maple or Plum would be beautiful, but would the corners look bare, especially in the winter?

Also, what should I put on either side of the front steps? Small evergreens, shrubs, perennials?

Our planting area will start about midway down the drive, curve along the walkway, across the front of the house, curve out at the corners and go back the whole length of the house. We are considering barberries, daylillies, and boxwoods so far. We have clay soil with lots of rocks. We will also do a few "up lights" along the front and a light post where the walkway meets the drive.

Thank you for any help you can give. I'm so afraid of doing it wrong and hating it. I have someone to do all the "muscle" work, but need help with planning. This is a winter pic, we do have nice green grass now.

Comments (20)