SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
timtex

French drain water drainage

timtex
9 years ago

We moved into a brand new house in January. Right after the foundation was poured last fall, we started noticing water collecting on the north side of the lot, and we raised the issue with our builder. They ended up putting what I assume is a French drain--ultimately the only thing visible were about three round green plastic grates--along the side of the house. About a month after we moved in, the house next door was completed, and the people who did the sod covered up all but one of the grates. I should have gotten out there and cut the sod away from them, but I didn't, and now they are completely hidden by green grass and dirt. I tried poking around with a stick but can't find them now. We're also having drainage issues, especially in the corner of the backyard. There is a sprinkler head there, and when I told the sprinkler company that I thought it was leaking, they said that head is probably lower than all the others and water is slowing coming out of it after the system has run. I took a pick ax and dug a trench along the fence line from the sprinkler head to the only exposed drain grate, a distance of about twelve feet. This seemed to prevent that corner from becoming a bog. My questions...Do all the grates need to be uncovered, and if so how do I find them without buying a metal detector? Should I ask for a taller riser on the corner sprinkler head? Does the French drain need to be extended all the way to the corner of the backyard, or should I just fill the little trench I made with rocks? All of this is supposed to be under warranty, but our complaints to the builder have only fallen on deaf ears. The builder is MHI/Plantation Homes--don't get me started on them. Thanks

Comments (2)