SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aloha2009

Is This Just Too Much Hardscaping?

aloha2009
11 years ago

I'm getting cold feet (though it's getting warmer out) as we are getting closer to committing to a concrete contractor.

We're looking at having a patio extend the width of the house and out 18', a 15' round patio, about 60' a walkway paths, and 20+ steps. The walkways are what they have to be, but the main patio has just grown and grown where it is almost the entire backyard. The 15' patio was added to take advantage of some much needed afternoon shade and have a patio closer to the beach level. Consequently I'm nervous about that much hardscaping!

We're leaving room for plantings but being there is a restriction of plants being 3' or less from our house to the lake which limits our options with doing any larger areas. The little bit of grass that we could have, we decided wasn't worth the hassling of maintenance. That said, I'm concerned about just having a "parking lot" in my backyard.

I've included a pic of the backyard. The main patio would extend to the ends of the house and within 5' of the retaining wall. The 15' patio would be within 3' of the property line on the right (of the pic). As you can see, it doesn't leave much room for much else.

We mocked up the main patio with a few pieces of furniture and before we knew it, all that space seemed barely enough! If it wasn't for the 3' restrictions, I might very well change the overall landscaping but the restrictions are there.

Do you think we'll be sorry in the end? Though resale isn't an issue for a LONG, LONG time, I don't want to do anything that can negatively impact the appearance in the short term. Most importantly do you see any viable alternatives that we are overlooking?

{{gwi:9597}}

Comments (18)