SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
frida999

Creating depth and draw attention to house

frida999
11 years ago

I wish I knew how to upload pics, but I haven't figured that out yet so I'll do my best to describe my situation.

I have a two story house with a front porch in an urban area. The house is about 40 feet from the street. The front door is off-center as is the walkway to the door. There are driveways on each side of the house and on the side of the house with the door there's about 15' of space of open area to the next driveway.

I want to make sure that my house isn't overpowered by my garden.

1. I'm not sure how to draw my beds. I'm going to use sweeping curves not hard lines. Would it be better to have beds more perpendicular or horizontal in relation to house? I was thinking about having them against house then curve along the walkway to front door toward the street and then get a little bigger at sidewalk?

Should I extend bed through that side area and have bed parallel to house? Seems like depth is important, but as house is two story and so close to street, do I need to pay special attention to height to create the illusion of depth?

2. My house is a taupe color with yellow trim. I want to use the right colors in my garden as well. I was thinking primarily purples, silver/grays, variegated yellow/greens, and a bit of yellow. Would that work? I don't want people to look at my house and just see garden, but both garden and house.

Comments (19)