SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flora_uk

First time pepper grower - should I pinch?

flora_uk
13 years ago

I am trying peppers for the first time this year. It may seem odd that I haven't grown them before despite several decades of veggie gardening. They are not at all easy in my climate and I am going to be growing them in containers which will be under glass for most of the time. The variety is Hungarian Wax, a long pointed orange/yellow mild chilli type.

I have got the seedlings growing happily and they are now just showing their 2nd true leaves. My question is whether or not they are likely to branch of their own accord or whether you seasoned growers are in the habit of pinching out the terminal bud to encourage this. Do I even want them to branch? Any other tips gratefully received.

This all started because last year I planted out some peppers which grew from my compost heap. They flowered under cloches but did not fruit because I did it too late. So I decided to do it more deliberately this year.

I can offer info. on growing runner beans, purple sprouting and favas in exchange if any of you are trying something 'exotic' this year!

Comments (24)