SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
therian

First Time Tomatoe Grower

therian
13 years ago

So my father usually buys plants but this year I thought id try seeds. Currently they are 12 days old and are about 1 1/2 and are starting to get their "true leaves".

Currently I use window light with a "pully" system to angle them into the window (so they grow straighter) and I move it from side to side of the house during the day to ensure the most direct sunlight (no windows face straight west/south so I angle them as well)

I use 4 oz styrofoam cups (hole in bottom of cup) and put 3 seeds in each (triangle pattern). Of those I have 17 plants growing. Of those only 8 will be used *if they survive*. The spare will go to a friend across the street. My father always lost his plants between 3-4 inches 20 years ago so he gave up on seeds but we have the internet now so hoping to succeed here. I am using Better Boy seeds.

My question is I was told transplanting to their own cups once they got their true leaves actually helped the plant grow as well as give it room to grow. This true? I know each plant must go into their own but the question is when is best.

My other question is I wanted to move the plants outside during the day for better sun light but not sure when is best to do this as they are so young, and my area always has a breeze. I was reading a cold frame is best for this and would "harden" the plant off and allow it to grow better. Then later I would introduce the wind slowly when they had 3-5 leaves and were 1 week from planting.

Is this true? It would be a basic wood/plastic design and would use a Plexiglas top. Sadly my father would rather buy the plants then spend twice the price growing them, so I am limited to recycling stuff to succeed.

I would also love any advice to make the plants grow better or even increase my odds of getting them into the ground. I have been trying all sorts of stuff this year and its really exciting.

So far I have growing

3 Red/Yellow/Orange Pepper

8 Peppers

4 Jalapeno Peppers

10 Forget Me Nots (for my dogs grave wanted to jump start them)

8 Tomatoes

Most the pepper seeds were from Walmart produce we bought and I wanted to see if they would grow.

Thank you for any help you can provide. Links would also be appreciated as there are so many resources out there it confuses me as to which one is best for me.

Comments (20)