SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peace_rose_gw

Are my instincts right? Foundation plantings need final touch

peace_rose
17 years ago

We planted some shrubs and perennials along the foundation of our house last year. I donÂt have much of an eye for landscape design but my gut tells me that I need to plant a tree to "anchor" everything better and to add some height into the mix. Since our house is small (35 feet wide x 13 feet high) my gut also tells me to plant something in proportion to the size of the house. IÂm inclined to put it near the NW corner of the house, just to the left of the window, and out from the foundation about 10 feet. We donÂt want to take up much more of the yard, but IÂd also consider a couple shrubs or trees along the fence line (far left side running east to west, which is out of view), too.

So IÂm basically seeking advice on what sort of tree to plant (dedicious or evergreen) and what else I could do to give more structure to the landscape.

IÂd really like some feedback about the maximum height for a tree in proportion to our house. The house faces West.

WeÂve considered a Newport (20Âx20Â) or a Big Cis Plum (14Âx10Â) - I like the maroon color. But IÂm also inclined to believe we could use some year round interest, ie, an evergreen. Do we need a dwarf?

How are my instincts? IÂd really appreciate any feedback! This is a total DIY project, and weÂve got more time than money. But weÂll also be here for awhile, so I donÂt want to be pennywise and pound foolish. We live in Denver, CO, zone 5.

Thanks!

Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:27764}}

Comments (20)