SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dileas_gw

backyard overall design

dileas
14 years ago

I am trying to decide on a plan for this backyard. The yard is 90' by 30', clay soil that I've been ammending and a gravel base. I get excellent drainage but the clay soil by itself is unworkable. I'd like to:

1. Screen out the top windows on the house directly behind our property - I feel like every time I step outside my eye goes directly to their windows. I think placing a tree 20 feet in front of the cedars and about 7' to the right of the black chain link fence should work.

2. Enlarge the patio area. My dh keeps wanting a deck but it is incredibly windy in our area and I don't want to chase patio furniture around the yard. His main reason for wanting a deck is that he feels a ground level patio doesn't define the patio space and garden space as effectively. This is probably not helped by the fact that when I see stone (or ugly concrete pavers), I want to grow plants that spill over onto them. Our current patio space is only about 10' by 10' so it definitely needs to be enlarged.

3. We want to plant some trees in the next few weeks. I think I'd like 3 but I'm not sure if that is too many for the yard or not. We've been thinking about 2 flowering crab apples near the back of the property and something else smaller and closer to the patio area (to give some shade). The yard faces west and I find the sun is pretty oppressive in the summer (although it is a blessing in the winter). I have never sat out on the patio in the entire time we've lived here because of the shade issue. Sun umbrellas don't work very well because of the wind.

4. We have a new addition to our family who likes to play in the dirt (baby girl, now 15 months old). I've never seen the merit in a sandbox but I'm starting to come around. I'd like to give her something out here that will keep her outside but out of the flowerbeds (within reason). Our neighbours a few houses down built a swingset last year and while I like the swing itself, they just plunked it in the middle of the yard. I read an article on the renegade gardener (Top 10 Gardening & Landscaping Blundersand How to Avoid Them!) Number 7 was We devote too much space to lawn. In his example he moved the swingset into the beds and I really liked that.

5. Enlarge the flower beds or add more. I enjoy gardening but have no experience in designing beds or arranging shrubs and plants to go in them.

There is nothing in this current landscape that I am unwilling to change or move (except the cedars at the back). The shrub in bloom needs to be moved this year - I think it was mislabelled (plant sale purchase) and I don't want it squished up against the fence. I like hydrangeas, clematis, irises, peonies, roses (I have limited patience with the fussy tea hybrids but I really love the look of a big climbing rose bush), butterfly bushes, wigelia, lilacs and rhododendrons. I'm sure there are more that I like but those are my favourites off the top of my head. I don't want euonomous and I've seen enough spirea bushes to last me the rest of my gardening days. I live in Ontario so pesticides are out. I enjoy gardening so maintenance isn't an issue.

This is my first time attaching a link, hope it works. Let me know if I've left anything out :)

Thanks

Comments (5)