SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dwiggin3

Yikes...what happend?

dwiggin3
17 years ago

I purchased about 12 small pots of blue/purple lobelia about a month ago and put them in two large pots with a marigold in the middle. Untill recently, they were going like gangbusters. They were healthy, had room to grow etc.

I fertalized them with Miracle Gro plant food according to the directions on Friday - a real good soak. I didn't water them over the weekend (because they had such a good soak on Friday -Monday AM they looked fine), when we had temps in the low 90's. Then on Monday, we had high temps again, but then several really hard rain storms passed through that afternoon and evening.

Looking at them last night, they were limp and looked almost dried out. Once plant does seem to have rebounded, but the others are limp and sad. Not the kind of limp that they get when you water them and they are weighed down by water, but a dry, drying kind of limp.

Some of the limps are intertwined and I tried to gently pull them apart and fluff it up - which use to work, but no luck....HELP..

All the other plants that I fertalized are fine. Any suggestions as to what happend? The soil is still damp.....Its so rare for me to find blue lobelia and when I did in this amound, I spent a small fortune on them - plus, the blue is the color of Alaska - where I'm orignally from and I purchased them and the yellow marigolds in honnor of my dad who recently passed away....so I'm sort of atatched to them as a memorial.

help...suggestions?

Comments (6)

• georgeiii
    17 years ago

See the difference is the method of prodcution and where you have to put them. Growing plants now is by the numbers. And if you don't use the same method as the grower instant root death. It may last a week or two but then you will begin to see root death. It won't matter. Plants are grown with instant gradifcation in mind, not long term use. ELSE WE ALL GROW FROM SEED. Your plants will die back drasticly put it will survive. By september it'll be back like new. When you buy plants look at the type media it's growing in. NOT AT HOW PRETTY THE PLANT IS. Go to a wal-mart, homedepo when plants arrive...then go back two weeks later what a change? No all you can do is grin and bear it. They'll come back, just don't water to much.

• username_5
    17 years ago

How moist is the soil? Lobelia seem to like moist to wet soil, not soil on the dry to damp side. In the 'wild' these are ditch plants growing anywhere there is soggy soil.

I don't know what the issue is with yours, but my guess from reading your description is not enough water.

I don't rely upon the rain to irrigate container plants. I find even after a good hard storm the pots (large pots even) can be quite dry within the same day. A good, manual soaking to saturation works better for me. Hot days can also be deceptive as the water in the very top of the container can appear wet from the rain and the foliage (when it is dense) can retain that surface moisture while the roots are taking up the water down further. It is an odd thing, but it can happen where the top inch or two are moist and down below is drier. Unless your container completely covered with vegetation though this isn't likely. With a water sucking plant like lobelia though it could be the case.

The good news is a plant going limp from lack of water *usually* recovers fine if the water is added fairly quickly.

Do the finger poke thing into the soil as far as your finger goes. If it doesn't feel at least moderately wet, give them a soak. That would be what I would try anyway.

Keep in mind I don't know what the plant's problem is. This is just my guess.

• mamabear_on
    17 years ago

I am having the same problem with my lobellia. I have a hanging basket and it was doing great until I changed if from the commercial hanging basket to the decorative one that I use. Also, I added the miracle grow slow release fertilizer ( first time using it) and I was wondering if it could be causing the problem.

I have kept the container well watered and have checked it everyday. It appears to be sending up new growth and I will have to prune the dried stuff off to encourage more growth

Could the miracle grow be the problem

Thanks

• ianna
    17 years ago

What happened was that it got too much of everything. Too hot, too much water and possibly too much fertilizers.

• dwiggin3
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well...I went home last night and investigated the plants. They looked dried and many broke off in my hand. I ended up just pulling them all and trashing them. My pots look so bare now!

I was keeping them really well hydrated and the soil was moist, so I don't think there was a lack of moisture. I think that the miracle gro is the main culpret. With help from the higher temps and then a real lashing from wind/rain just did them in.

I think it might be hard to find blue lobelia now this late at the garden centers. Should I just suck it up and learn my lesson or try seeds? How long will the seeds take - I'm not into seeds much, so I'm really uneducated in that scene.

D

• kathi_mdgd
    17 years ago

One thing about Lobelia is that it will always come back.I have lobelia growing in every garden and a lot of hanging planters at my house.A lot of it i didn't plant,but i guess the birds and the wind did.As it dries,i just pull it out and a whole new bunch will appear.Here a few pictures.

{{gwi:30487}}

{{gwi:37377}}

{{gwi:37378}}

{{gwi:25742}}

Enjoy the view!!!
    Kathi