SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skygirl10

Curb Appeal on a Budget - Ideas Wanted! :)

SkyGirl10
13 years ago

My husband and I purchased our 1st home (Oregon, USDA Zone 8)in November of �09. We spent the Spring/Summer of 2010 remodeling the interior/exterior of our home (bunked in our 1 car garage the whole time) and would like to spend this Spring and Summer getting our hands dirty in the yard but we have very, very little money to spend on any major projects (we still don�t any furniture, unless you count the mattress on the floor in the living room!). I�ve attached pictures showing the current state of the front yard (We'll leave the backyard with it's giant hole where a collapsed swimming pool used to be for another day). The previous owner ripped out the grass and tossed around a few handfuls of wildflower seed, leaving the lawn 50% weeds, 10% wildflowers, and 40% grass. We would like to figure out a plan for making the most of what we have. Two owners back the yard was meticulously maintained in Japanese inspired style (we�ve heard stories from neighbors). This too lends to our trouble as they planted bamboo without a barrier and it has taken over a corner of our back yard and wants to take over the side yard. We also have a ton of large and small rocks/stones all over the property (even some very interesting lava rock). I�m sure at one point the placement of rocks made sense, but the previous owner moved them all around and even lined some of them up like tombstones in the front yard. We would like the yard to be nice enough to avoid embarrassment (the neighbors have been very understanding, but that will probably only last for so long) and to provide a nice view from the front porch for the coming Summer/Fall seasons. We aren�t afraid of getting our hands dirty. Any ideas for how to attack this crazy yard would be very much appreciated.

{{gwi:27407}}

{{gwi:27408}}

{{gwi:27410}}

{{gwi:27411}}

Comments (15)