SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eastx

Alternatives to grass? Backyard landscaping ideas needed

eastx
18 years ago

Hello-

I have a tiny foursquare house on an oversized lot. I have grass in the front yard (north) and do not want any in my backyard (south). The people who lived here before me had graveled over most of the backyard, and parked back there. None of the lawn was in good shape either.

Last year I put in a picket fence, various yard toys for my child, and a vegetable garden. I spread wood chips over the east side of my backyard to cover up the gravel. This year I am trying to expand my vegetable garden, make beds for flowers and install a small patio. What I have done is till up for these new beds, and started setting the pavers. I am wanting to put a sand border around the patio, which will continue over to where the mulch is on one side, and over to a flower bed on the other side. I plan to seperate the areas with landscaping timber.

Does that sound too ugly? I'm desperate to have less to mow, haha! Also, is there a prettier sand to use than regular sanitized sand? Something else that will look nicer than sand? I'm not too impressed with how the sand is looking at this point, but I was trying to use something besides more bark mulch! Does it sound like more bark mulch would look better though? Less choppy? I wish I had a picture but my camera is MIA right now.

Comments (4)