SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dtownjbrown_gw

Container gardening 101 where should I start?

13 years ago

Ive decided to try my hand at container gardening with perennials (and maybe the occasional tomato or bell pepper). I could really use some advice, tips and/or warnings before I get started.

Right now, my dilemma is choosing the correct container size. I have a lot of cheapie, clay-colored, plastic pots that I can start in. There are 6-six inch, 3-eight inch, 2-twelve inch, 1-fifteen inch and 1-twentyfour inch window box (which is much bigger than I thought, once I started filling it with soil). I like to "watch things grow" so I purchased several 4-pack cells and a couple 4inch starter plant and plan to repot them. Problem is, I donÂt know which size pot to put them into once I buy them. I want to give them "enough" room to grow but not too much that it becomes a waste of space. Any suggestions on what to use as a rule of thumb for choosing the right size container for the right size plant? The plants Ive purchased so far areÂ.

Hens & Chicks

Pachysandra Terminalis

Japanese Painted Fern

Moonbeam Coreopsis

Plantain Lily Hosta (aureomarginata)

Sentimental Blue Balloon Flower

Bath's Pink Dianthus

Palace Purple Coral Bells

Autumn Joy Stonecrop

Sweet Woodruff

Ajuga (a purple leaved variety & one with more greenish brown leaves)

I had planned on using the soil from my yard as a potting medium. I had it tested so I know what the pH, available nutrients and %clay/sand/loam is but does knowing that info even matter in container gardening? Is using turf soil a bad idea? If so, what should I look for in a potting soil? Also, any suggestions or "veteran" advice on things I want to keep in mind for the future? Thanks in advance :-)

Comments (5)