SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tryingtostaysane

Want to pretend the neighbors don't exist.

tryingtostaysane
17 years ago

I live in central Ohio and my neighbors' house is located maybe eight or ten feet from mine. I know this probably sounds crazy, maybe even humorous, but my neighbors are involved in the production and sale of crystal meth. People are in and out of their house at all hours of the day and night, and they were even arrested (in another county) for operating a mobile meth unit, but were set loose a few months later because they told on other drug suppliers. Complaining to the sheriff's department does no good. I'm told to keep track of license plate numbers and descriptions of vehicles, but nothing seems to be done. Complaining to the village also does no good ... they won't even enforce their own mowing ordinance, so I'm squeezed between two neighbors that won't mow but maybe twice or three times a year. My kids have come home from school and found people sleeping in my back yard. I've come home from work and found people sleeping in the yard across the street. We used to have a fence separating our properties, but after I stuck a "no parking" sign in front of my house (because their company kept tearing up my grass and almost hit me in my own driveway), they tore the fence down. Moving isn't an option at this time. I own the house and have done some improvements, so I cannot get what I owe out of the house at this point in time (I had the improvements done before the idiots moved in next door; otherwise, I wouldn't have bothered). Complaining to their landlord does no good either ... his parents own the house. Also, I'm a single mother and I don't make much money. After my child support payments end, I'll have to work two jobs to hold on to this place until my youngest graduates from college ... then I just don't care. If I can't sell it, the mortgage company can have it. I've measured my backyard and priced privacy fence panels. My only concern is that they'll get ticked off and tear it down after I've paid so much money for it since they will be boxed in (their yard is substantially smaller than mine). I figured that a hedge would seem less obvious. I was wondering if someone had some ideas for an evergreen hedge (I don't want to be able to see their house at all, even in winter) that grows fairly quickly and doesn't cost a lot of money. I thought about putting regular fencing up until a hedge gets started, if that's possible. Sorry, I don't know much about gardening, but I do know a lot about desparation. Can anyone give me any suggestions?

Comments (23)