SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bindersbee

'And I want it all to be low maintenance'... A bit of a rant

bindersbee
17 years ago

I hear this at nearly every landscape design consult I do- probably because my boss does the higher-end stuff and I take care of the more average homeowner (like me). Now, I try to make every landscape 'low maintenance' in many regards. I shape the bedlines to be easy to mow around- no odd pinch points, tight turns etc. I select plants that actually like our climate and will be less work etc. to maintain. That kind of thing.

The 'lowest maintenance' thing in the landscape is hardscape- seating areas, paths, patios etc. The added bonus is that they give you a reason to BE in the yard- a place to go etc. so that you can enjoy the space. They are usually the most expensive part of any landscape installation.

Another example is groundcover. A tight mat of Thyme or any of a number of groundcovers will greatly reduce weeds and spread over time to fill in and around the plants- thus being lower maintenance- over time- but more work and expense upfront. You can achieve the same thing with bark mulch and it's much less expensive- initially. However, bark mulch needs to be topped off every year. After doing this for a couple of years, you'll have spent more time, money and maintenance than if you had planted groundcover.

Finally, the timing of maintenance is important. An hour spent putting down a pre-emergent like Preen will prevent many hours of weeding later in the season. Alternatively, applying a 6" layer of bark mulch is a natural way to keep weed germination low (and makes pulling out those that do easier). Do you give your clients a written schedule for these things? I have done that recently. Not so much because I expect they will follow it (some will) but because if they don't, they can't blame me when it fails to be as low maintenance as they envisioned.

My point is that there are many ways to make landscapes both beautiful and low-maintenance. The trick is that they are usually more expensive UPFRONT with a much greater benefit over time. I'm finding that my clients who want 'low maintenance' don't tend to want to spend time outside and so they don't want to spend the money to achieve the effect they are after. They want it all perfect now but on a minimal budget. Some are willing to phase things over time (and I provide a schedule for that) but others just want it in and over with. How do you deal with this perennial quandry?

Comments (3)