SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tracydr

Why wouldn't this work?

tracydr
13 years ago

Like many urban gardeners, I am challenged by space. My problem is that the previous owners of my property liked to grow gravel. Plastic layers for weed barrier and lots of gravel, river rocks, and more gravel everywhere. Even the "flower beds" are planted in a different color of gravel. So pretty!

It's really, really hard to remove all these tons of gravel. This year I'm starting a few raised beds, in addition to the few in ground gardens that I've already had going for a couple of years. But, I still don't have room for space hogs like squash, cantalope and melon. So, I was thinking about doing holes in the gravel, alongside a wall, sort of like if I were planting trees, amending the hole, and then direct seeding. Instead of removing a whole garden full of rocks for a melon/squash garden, I would just need to remove maybe a 12" circle for each mound. Could this work?

I know the direct seeding will work, AZ is melon heaven.

Thinking of doing the same with some okra along the fence if it seems to work. Might save me an awful lot of rock removal.

Since I'm trying to feed my family mostly what I grow from the year-round garden, every bit of extra space I can gain would be wonderful.

Comments (15)