SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
toomuchtodo_gw

Compacted base vs. poured footings

toomuchtodo
17 years ago

I'm going to be building a concrete block retaining wall that is going to be covered using cultured stone. The wall is going to be about 4' high by about 70' long and will be constructed to "hide" a retaining wall built out of roughly 3' diameter boulders. The wall is only going to retain the drainage stone behind the block as the boulders are doing their job for the past several years retaining everything else. The soil that the base/footings will go in is about 18" of trucked-in gravel that has been compacted with all kinds of heavy equipment.

Normal practice for any concrete wall is to pour a footing, but I was wondering if a compacted base is the preferred method for retaining wall blocks, why wouldn't it work for a cinder block wall that's mortared together? It seems to me that the vertical sheer pressures would be basically the same given the wall size/weight. And yes, I understand the importance of a footing for a concrete wall with a structure built on it, but we're talking about just the weight of the wall.

Anyone care to add their thoughts on the differences of compacted base vs. footings?

Comments (8)