SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ms_idaho

And then the snow melted....

ms.idaho
11 years ago

Hi fellow garden nuts! We bought this "fabulous" place in December of last year. We knew it was going to take a ton of TLC both inside and out, as it was a neglected short sale. After renovation all winter (and still are) we are about to delve in the realm of the outside. OY! We pretty much tapped our entire budget{{gwi:807}} in the inside after discovering a few choice structural, electrical, other problems so the yard is all DIY. Which is fine, we like yardwork. Or last place we owner we built the house and the yard up from scratch so there wasn't much of fixing other people's screw ups/neglect. I am unsure what to do with this mess so I ask kindly for your help. The house sits on a corner lot, the front of the house facing due north. We are at 5500 feet altitude in Idaho, growing season 4b or 5 depending in who you ask

Plans in the works:
Remove many aspen trees and the suckers
Pray the sprinkler system isn't too far gone
Prune down the potentilla along the front porch
Dethatching fertilizing the lawn
Edging out and mulching tree wells

What we need some help on:
As you can see there is a pea gravel path leading from the road to the house. It extends along the front of the porch both directions. Maybe some flagstone instead?
The large flower bed is not defined, Is a mix of ornamental grasses, escaped yard grass, various bushes or flowers and two small trees, all of which I hope to ID soon. The mulch that's left in it is terrible and after digging around it seems like a thin layer of newspaper is serving as landscape fabric.

I'm open to all suggestions. I'm not sure the look we are after. I love a mix of manicured and edged beds and walks but also love the natural cottage gardeny look, if that makes sense. I have oodles of more photos but this will only let me post one so I did a panorama from my neighbors driveway.

Edited to add that I envision a very colorful landscape, railing and hanging baskets. Long term possible doing something else with all of that lawn since I am not huge in grass, and there is enough of it in the back for the kids to run around on. We need to start small since we are over budget and time is a factor since we are also chasing an infant and kid around. For the immediate, I'd like it to look nice and like someone loves it - which we do!

I found some tags buried in the mulch. So far there is hakonechloa macra, little princess spires, and crimson pigmy barberry.

I'm all ears! And thank you:)

This post was edited by ms.idaho on Tue, Apr 23, 13 at 16:56

Comments (6)