SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smurdock_gw

Northeast Southwest garden opinions

smurdock
18 years ago

I am in the planning stages of a new large bed. My property is 1/4 of a culdisac, so I have a sizeable lot with a huge sideyard that connects the front and back yards. Basically I have 1 big piece of yard. In the planning of my beds my wife had a great idea to create a bed that when from the front of the house towards the center of the culdisac until it hits the sidewalk. Then the bed follows the sidewalk until it hits the property line. This would create some much needed balance to the property and it would also create a separation between the front yard and the side/back yard (making the side feel like the back) without having a overwhelming fence installed.

This is a new house (almost 3 years old). My development is also new and all of the houses have the standard beds around the house - some shrubs - a tree on the corner. I want to break away and create something I like thats different.

On a recent trip to Arizona I was extremely impressed with the southwest styling in landscaping and I want to capture the southwest/desert feel in my new project. Obviously I can only do so much in NE Ohio.

I actually have a prickly pear (opuntia) that grows in my zone. I also got permission from a builder to go on his constuction site after hours and take whatever rock I want. Other than this I will install some plants that look like they come from the desert and use the rock for a dry stream bed and rocky outcrops.

My question (finally) is I am looking into mulching. I was going to bring in rocks/gravel but after reading in the forums people who had rock would never do it again. Organinc mulches have lots of benefits but I think it does not look southwest-ish. I saw this in the forums and really liked the results link-

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/farnorth/msg0622311119090.html

I would like to know what options I have? I like the sand look the Pudge achevied, even the plants. What problems would I have putting a layer of sand in as a topdressing/mulch? Does anyone know of a mulch that is lighter in color - tanish that I could look into? In my area we have black hardwood mulch, dyed red stuff (yech), and orange cypress. I like cypress if it was tan.

Sorry about the length but I wanted to convey where I was coming from and give plenty if details.

Thanks for your responses!!!

Comments (13)