SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kee_b

New to gardening, kinda

kee_b
14 years ago

I haven't made decisions about the garden before. I have always helped my mom in her yard. She grows different things than I'd like to, so I am coming to you guys for help!

I want to plant some raspberries that will fruit this year.

The local nursery has some 2nd year+ canes that cost $7.99. I didn't check to see if it listed type, but I can run by there any time as it's right next to my house.

I am planning on planting a bed that is 4'x30'. South facing, in between house and fence. Full sun all day. Gap between house and fence is about 10'

I plan to build the bed this weekend and fill it up.

How many plants should I get? Should I get some seedlings instead of a 2nd year cane? What kind of soil would be best to fill?

On the other side of the house (north facing) I have a 20' tall lemon tree. West facing I have an apple, cherry, peach, and plum tree. All 20+ years old and fruiting really well each year.

I plan on building at least 3 other beds for various fruits/vegetables including: blueberries, strawberries, herbs of all kinds, tomatoes, bell pepper, anaheim pepper, english peas, cucumber, zucchini, and a cut garden for the wife.

Any suggestions on varieties/where to buy for Zone 10 would be awesome.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!