SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anney_gw

Leave clear solarizing plastic on beds?

15 years ago

A question if you've used clear plastic to control weeds and soil-borne pathogens in your garden.

This year I've decided to use 4-mil solarizing clear plastic to cover my beds. Anything that can be planted now, such as lettuce & some herbs, is going in containers. I can lay it out this week, so that should leave at least 3-4 weeks while it bakes the soil before I set out or sow the heat-lovers.

My question is this. Can I leave it in the beds and plant through it or in strips between it? This would involve melons, peppers & tomatoes, maybe beans. I plan to lay drip irrigation under the plastic anyway, since effective solarization requires moisture.

I'm hoping this will do something to discourage the bindweed I struggle with every year and to destroy some of the soil-ensconced funguses that have made merry with my tomatoes the last couple of years.

But will leaving it in place make the soil too hot? Should I plan to cover it when the temps rise with an organic mulch that will shade it? I have lots of leaves. What's been your experience, or what do you know about using it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Soil Solarization for the Control of Nematodes and Soilborne Diseases

Comments (3)