SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
busybee123

Landscape Help for Newbie's Front Yard (pictures)

CFT
14 years ago

Before I get started I want to thank all of you for your assistance. This site is amazing because of the incredible members.

Now on to business. My husband & I bought a house with a sorely neglected yard and we need a little help figuring out how to make it beautiful, starting with the front. A landscape architect isn't in the budget so I'm hoping you wonderful Gardenweb members can help us come up with ideas. We are looking forward to getting our hands dirty and we are not afraid of hard work; all we lack is a game plan.

A little background info: We live in Memphis, TN (zone 7) and our front yard is now pretty much a blank slate. Right after purchasing the house, we had extensive work done to the two giant oak trees and cleared out a jungle of holly growing up against the front facade. There is not much grass but we plan to address that in the fall by seeding with fescue. The house faces north and the trees provide a lot of shade during the day but some late afternoon sun does shine in from the west. The lot itself slopes down a bit from the sidewalk toward the house, and due to a lack of ground cover, heavy rains sometimes result in water washing southeast across the front yard and along the side of the house (left side of the pictures) toward the back yard. Hopefully grass & landscaping will help with this issue. We planted a few privets near the house in late fall and put some hostas from our old house along the inside of the walk closer to the porch but those can all easily be moved.

We're thinking maybe beds against the house with azaleas (along with other plants/trees too) but that's all we have so far and it's hardly set in stone. As far as the rest of the yard goes, we are clueless. Any and all ideas are welcomed and much appreciated. Thank you so much for your help!

{{gwi:21730}}

{{gwi:21731}}

{{gwi:21732}}

{{gwi:21733}}

{{gwi:21734}}

{{gwi:21735}}

{{gwi:21736}}

{{gwi:21737}}

Comments (2)