SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neeedgreenthumb

I think I made a mistake

neeedgreenthumb
16 years ago

I have tried and failed many times to grow a container herb garden--I tend to underwater, then over water, then just give up. So, today I had a few extra plants left over from the community garden that I planted with my neighbors and decided to throw them in pots. I had a few old pots lying around with plants that had died due to my neglect. I dumped the soil into a big bin, picked out some rotted bulbs from the tulips my husband gave me last mother's day, stirred it up, and mixed it with some new potting mix.The old soil was still very wet, it was left out all winter. Then I returned the soil to a large pot, and planted my parsley, basil, rosemary, and sage in one large pot, and mint in another smaller pot.

It looks absolutely beautiful, but as I have been reading I have discovered that I was supposed to wash out the pot, and I probably shouldn't have used soil from a rotted plant. I did notice some insects in the pots. I think they might have been aphids, or ladybug larvae, I always get the two confused. I know ladybugs eat aphids but aphids are bad for plants.

Anyway, what should I do at this point. If I put the pot in direct sunlight and let the soil dry out will it stave off any possible problesm? I watered the soil with a miracle grow solution, does that help in killing any possible predators? I really would rather not have to repot and use all store bought soil due to money restraints, so I would prefer to see what happens, but if there are any steps I can take to help my odds I would really appreciate it.

Comments (8)