SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
remodeller_gw

Smart Pots vs Earthtainer: or hybrid of the two?

Remodeller
11 years ago

If I remember & understand correctly Smart Pots claims to fame are that their thick fabric like material is breathable and so it thoroughly aerates the pot 'soil' mix- it also directs the roots in a desirable way. If I understand correctly the Earthtainer also aerates the soil because air enters underneath the soil through the overfill holes and then up through the aeration bench holes- so the question remains: How does the Earthtainer fare in preventing the roots from wrapping around themselves of growing in an undesirable way?- Or is Smart Pots over hyping this problem to sell more product?
The other thing that occurred to me is what about a hybrid of the two based on the globalbuckets.org version of the Earthtainer (Same concept with two 5gal buckets, one stacked on the other)- the way it would work is you not only drill aeration holes on the bottom of the top bucket but you also drill holes on the side walls of the bucket then line the inside of the bucket with a Smart Pot- would this give you the best of both worlds? - I guess you would lost a little more water with the extra holes on the sides- but would you still have the ease of maintenance, eliminate over watering, give the roots an advantage with superior aeration- plus the roots growing in a more desirable way from the Smart Pot fabric. Then again what if you just used the Earthtainer bedliner material and zip tie or tape it to the sides of the bucket? Im a floor contractor/musician new to gardening so lots of questions

Here is a link that might be useful: 5 Gal Bucket Version Of Earthtainer

Comments (5)